This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Migration using vsstosvn works very well

May 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

This is a longer (>400 chars!) version of my review just submitted.

I am running a major VSS to SVN migration project and have been using vsstosvn with great success. My latest test successfully migrated almost 180000 versions of some 12700 files in 8.5 hours, with full history maintained. I have done a variety of planned and random checks on the history and have yet to find any issues or gaps.

I'm using changeset 14470, rather than the latest "release 0.1", as it has been created very recently specifically for the latest Subversion release 1.7.4. You can get hold of this on the "SOURCE CODE" tab here: http://vsstosvn.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets#

For the record I'm migrating from VSS 2005 on Windows XP to SVN 1.7.4 on Windows 7 (actually Collabnet Subversion Edge 3.0.0 which was a doddle to deploy). All other VSS users are using 6.0d, but the later VSS 2005 is needed for the migration to succeed - numerous failures occur if you try the older version. The database formats are the same and I have not seen any problem with me using 2005 whilst everyone else uses 6.0d connecting to the same VSS repository.

I have previously tried "vssmigrate" (of which there appear to be several versions), and had a variety of warnings and errors, and also looked at "vss2svn". I believe that this tool "vsstosvn" is the latest in this family and IMHO is by far the best.

I'll give a fuller review in a few weeks when I've completed a real migration - I'm still testing - but I'm very impressed with this migration tool and I commend it to others.

Well done all you guys and gals who have worked on this tool.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm glad you found the tool useful.

Regards;
Richard Moss